Monday, July 13, 2009

Nealey's Mythbusting Series

This will be the commencement of my mythbuster series. It will be called Nealey's Mythbusting Series. Ask me questions in my comments and I will answer them. And if you don't, I'll pretend.

Question: Oh Nealey, thou art wise beyond your years, could you please tell me if the toilets really flush counter clockwise in Australia?

Stranger, I would be happy to answer your question, thank you for submitting it.

Answer: This is in fact not a fact. I have noticed this because I've developed a bit of a fascination with the bathrooms or 'toilets' as they're called here because of their extremely modern facilities. The toilets actually flush straight down, there is no swirling about. Below are the reasons I think they are designed like this:
1. to save water
2. to save time in between users
3. to avoid skid marks around toilet bowl
4. to avoid aerating the poo so that the smell escapes the bowl

This mystery is achieved because the bowl is designed deeper, to allow gravity to take its course.
http://www.enviroletbuzz.com/images/waterless-toilet-bowl-400x4.jpg

This is a picture of an Australian toilet. As you can see, the bowl is larger and not shallow like an American toilet bowl.
http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images/prod/5/American-Standard-3311.028.178-rw-90722-154798.jpg

The toilets (bathrooms) in Australia have many high-tech amenities to offer its guests. Instead of a handle, there are one or two large buttons to press. One is a half-cirlce and one is a full circle. If there is only one button it's just a regular old circular circle. After investigation, I discovered that the half-circle is for #1 and the full circle is for #2. Below I've listed the reasons I think they've done this.
1. to save water

The soap dispensers in the toilets (bathrooms) are always full, and I've only come across one toilet (bathroom) that didn't have any toilet roll (toilet paper) left. And that was in a dirty club and there was pee on the floor. The sinks are always pretty and clean and there are as many sinks as there are toilet bowls which is smart. Below are the reasons why I think this has happened.
1. to encourage public health
2. to avoid queues (lines) in the toilet (bathroom)

Some of the toilets (bathrooms) don't have a toilet roll (toilet paper) dispenser like in the US. They have what appears to be similar but you pull out individual pieces of tissue like a box of Kleenex. This is annoying because your arm gets tired. Below are the reasons why I think this is going on.
1. to save paper
2. to prevent bum irritation from over wiping.

There are some really amazing public toilet (bathroom) facilities for no reason. You can just be walking along the harbour and WHAM there's a beautiful public toilet (bathroom) and you can turn to your friend and say , "Champion! Mate, there's a toilet right there I was about to take a wee on yer head" that means "that's great friend we found a bathroom, I almost peed on you."

There are some public bathrooms that smell like industrial solvent, but that's okay because it must be clean. But there's one in particular that I really enjoy using because it smells lovely and it's always sparkling. I like to imagine that when I walk in there's an angel standing there holding one thousand wonderful smelling flowers. It's actually a little Chinese woman spraying Glade or Hujakizo which is the Japanese version of Glade.

I hope I've answered your question.

2 comments:

  1. those are some pretty weird toilets! what about the water in the shower or the sink? does that drain counter clockwise? and are we the only country that calls it a bathroom? because all these foreign people come into work and ask me if they can "use the toilet".. interesting..

    i know you're a tough little lady nealey jo.. but do you think you could take out a kangaroo if you happened to encounter one on the streets of sydney? they seem pretty massive to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. why is the term "commencement" used to conclude academic voyages when in actuality, the root word "commence" means to begin or start (as you've utilized it here)?

    ReplyDelete